By trying to keep our homes clean and healthy, we are poisoning ourselves.
The second leading cause of death in the United States is cancer. Over 1500 people die every day from it, and there are 10,000 new cases among children every year. According to the American Cancer Society, only 5%-10% of cancer cases are genetically related, leaving the other 90%-95% to be caused by things outside of our bodies. The government has studied the ingredients in products we use in our homes. Did you know there are chemicals in products we use every day that are outlawed in other countries because of their toxicity??? Skin irritations, tumors, cancers….all caused by these chemicals. Chemicals in nearly every type of cleaning supplies used in the U.S. every day. This includes organic cleaners which contain carcinogens that are naturally derived. Less than 30 seconds after exposure, measurable amounts of chemicals can be found in the human body. These chemicals are all around us…..not just in the household cleaners. Air fresheners, candles, make-up, body soaps and shampoos, laundry and dish detergents, deodorants, dryer sheets, on and in the foods we eat, etc….. the list goes on and on. Even if we don’t end up developing cancer, there are other side effects felt in our bodies. Lethargy, sleep trouble, inability to focus, chronic inflammation, unexplained pain, fibromyalgia, skin issues, hormone imbalances, hot flashes, stress, anxiety, and fear….just to name a ‘few’. (Fearless by Sarah Harnisch)
Seems a little overwhelming, doesn’t it? But you can start making changes, little by little, to round up the chemicals in your life and take them out with the trash. the first thing you can do is not take my word for it. Do a little research onf your own. You already know we are creating super germs with our abundant use of anti-bacterial chemicals/hand cleaners. Are we doing the same with our household cleaners, as well as poisoning ourselves??
One of the simplest changes I’ve found is switching out my household cleaners. I used to buy a popular cleaner by the gallons. I used it in the bathrooms and the kitchen. This one doesn’t have an over powering chemical smell, but it did have one, nonetheless. Then there was another to clean windows, and another for the floors. I have developed asthma. Not surprisingly, I couldn’t be in a room using these products for very long and had to have windows open.
Over two years ago, I was introduced to essential oils. I began using Young Living essential oils and their Thieves Household Cleaner. There is no poison in it. And I use that one human-friendly cleaner for everything. Not only that, there is no chemical smell (duh, no chemicals mean no chemical smell). I LOVE the smell of it. And no irritating my asthma either. One simple switch. And guess what? I have been sick and at the doctor less than ever before. All the other cleaners I had been using were not keeping me safe and well. They were keeping me sick.
Up next: Part II Detergents